Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Blessing #121 - Marking his Territory


In April, I started a short term tutoring job.  For the next month, I'm going into a local high school through the tutoring company I work for to get students that need it, ready for state testing. 

On my first day, I couldn't help but be nervous.  As I rushed out the door to get the boys to the sitter,  Collin walked ahead of me while I closed the door.  In those few seconds, he found the one mud puddle in our entire yard.  He jumped right in, and even dipped his alligator in the mess. 

In my calm and collected state of mind, I said, "Are you kidding me? Do not get me dirty!"  We ran inside, and I quickly changed him, and switched out his alligator. I was very careful to make sure he didn't tag me with his mud because I had on a white shirt. 


Having survived that crisis, I dropped the boys off at the sitter, and rushed into work flustered and still nervous.  After talking to my boss for a few minutes, she looked at me and said, "You have something in the middle of your shirt."  I looked down and realized Collin had tagged me after all.  I was so careful to miss the mud, but he still tagged me right in the middle of my shirt with the biscuit he was eating.

Saturday, I was cleaning one of the offices at the farm when I saw something red on my wrists.  At first I thought I may have cut myself, but then I realized Collin had tagged me before I left the house.  This time his weapon of choice was the red sucker he was eating. 


Sunday, our church took mother and child photos as a gift to all the moms.  Knowing we were getting ready for pictures, I took extra time fixin' myself up, and making sure my outfit looked nice.  Two minutes before we were supposed to leave, Collin walked up and gave me what I though was a hug.  In reality, he was blowing his nose on my skirt...my dark navy skirt.  Tagged again. 


 Why? Why? Does this child seem to tag me every time I leave the house. 

I've come up with a theory.  I've watched enough Animal Planet to know that many animals like to mark their territory.  it's their way of saying, "This is mine.  Bug off!" Maybe that's what Collin is doing.  Maybe he wants everyone to know, "That's my Mommy!"

Someday, he will not want to walk within ten feet of me, but now he has to tag me to prove I'm his Mommy (or at least that's how I see it).  I like that perspective.  Now, the next time I have a chocolate hand print on my shirt, slobber on my shoulder, or juice on my sweater  I will have to smile....after I break out the spot remover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment