Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blessing #89 - Mom across the miles

I've been sick this week.

oh!

I mentioned that already?

Well, I have been sick, but good news the results from the chest x-ray came back and I don't have pneumonia...yeah? For some reason, that news did not make me feel any better, but something else has been bothering me all week. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I was...well...ill. It's a good thing I'm the one blogging this and not Shad. I have a feeling he wouldn't be quite as delicate about my cranky state.

Anyway, I couldn't figure out what was bothering me. Sometimes, I'm not so good at figuring out my feelings, and I just didn't know why I was so ill. Yesterday though, the reason for my cranky state hit me like a ton of bricks...

I want my Mommy!

When I first realized this, I couldn't believe it. Seriously? After all I've been through, after all I've accomplished, a little sickness and all I can think is, "I want my Mommy?" I thought I was a grown woman?

Yes, it is the cold hard truth. I am a 29 year old grown woman who wants her mommy when I get sick.

Right now though, my mom is 12 hours away, and rather than wallowing in the fact that she's not here to take care of me and the growing pile of laundry, I have done the next best thing. I call her, and here is how our phone conversations have gone this week...

me: I feel terrible *wheez wheez* Like a big pile of poo *cough cough*

Mom: I'm sorry. You do sound bad.

me: Yeah. *wheez wheez* but I need to get up and make supper, and clean the kitchen.

Mom: What you need to do is rest. It's not going to hurt the boys to eat McDonald's tonight, and your kitchen is going to be fine.

me: Well *cough cough* I guess you're right.

Mom: I know I'm right. I told you not to go to the doctor with the boys, and look what happened.

me: I know Mom. Who uses their daughter's blog comments just to say, "I told you so." *wheez wheez* That was an all time low.

Mom: You just need to rest right now.

me: Ok *cough cough* I really do feel bad. Like I got hit by a mac truck and drug a few miles. *wheez wheez*

Mom: I know. I'm sorry you feel bad. You just rest.

me: Ok. If you say so. *wheez wheez*

With my mom, I don't have to be strong. I can be the big 29 year old baby that wants her mom when she's sick, and that's okay. Somehow, across the miles that separate us, my mom manages to do something only she can do...be my mom.

****P.S. Friday is Shad's birthday, and he's had kind of a bummer birthday week (I'll talk more about that next week.) If you are his facebook friend please stop by and wish him a happy birthday.

1 comment:

  1. In our service for Christ there are many prices we have to pay. Absence of a mother to comfort us and family to strengthen us is also a part of the price. For the price He paid for our sins, no price for our service is to great.
    Many are not willing to paid the price. I am thankful for your willingness and your mother's.   Dad

    ReplyDelete