Sunday, March 18, 2012

Curse #36 - I don't want to!



When Brandon was about Collin's age, a random stranger walked up to me in a store and said,

stranger:  He said he wants you to put him down.

me: Excuse me (taking a slight step back)

stranger: I speak toddlerese.  You have to pay attention to the vowels, and he just said, "Want down!"

me: Oh! That's interesting. (taking two more steps back and still not putting Brandon down) You have a nice day.

Life Rule 547,652,876: When a random stranger tells you to put your baby down...,.don't.

Anyway, I always just cosidered the woman crazy, but now I'm starting to think I can speak toddlerese. 

Warning: After you read this, you are going to think I'm crazy...correction craziER...but Collin says, "I don't want to," all the time. 

He only really says "dada," and on rare occasions, "mama," and now, "I don't want to."

It started when I asked Brandon to do something and he said, "I don't want to." Of course, B got in trouble for that, but I was even more shocked when my tiny little Collin said it  just a few minutes later. Actually, he said, "I ooown annn newwww," but I'm telling you it means,  "I don't want to." 

The first time, I just thought it was a fluke, and that somehow, Collin was mimicking Brandon, but now Collin says the phrase all the time.

The other day, I asked him to hand me the remote after he took it.  He looked me right in the eyes and said, "I ooown annn newww." I know I looked crazy, but answered him back, "Don't you back talk Mister."

Last week, as the boys were playing outside, I picked up Collin to take him in, and I heard it again, "I ooown annnn newwwwwwwww." 

Of all the phrases he could have picked up maybe, "I want more please," "Put me down," or even "I love you Mama," he had to pick up, "I don't want to!"

No comments:

Post a Comment