Friday, October 29, 2010

Give Me Five Friday- {words I should never say (or type)}



If you missed it last week, here's the short version of Give me Five Friday. I like making lists. Every Friday I'll make a list. The only rule is it has to be five things.

In the afternoons, I tutor students at a local tutoring company. This week I was tutoring three high school girls all at the same time. I felt archaic as they used slang I had never heard. They laughed at my ignorance, but I explained to them that slang has an age limit. It's a different age for each person, but I know I have definitely passed it. How do I know? A slang word said by someone else sounds fine, but when I say the slang word it just sounds awkward and lame. So here's this weeks five.



{five words I should never say (or type)}



1. chillin' or the variations of chillaxin', and chillin' like a villian

2. My Boo when used in reference to the man I love. The girls I tutor told me that your "boo-boos" are your friends. (See, you learn something new every day.) So I tried that one out....still lame.

3. gangsta' To be honest, I think this word would have always sounded lame coming from me, no matter what my age.

4. cool beans This phrase dates me as a teenager of the 90's. You know what? I may take this one off the list and try to bring it back! Cool Beans Forever!

5. lol Again, everyone else types this and it looks cool. But I just can't do it. I can't tell you how many times I've typed "lol" only to delete it and replace it with "That is so funny!"

No comments:

Post a Comment