Friday, December 24, 2010

Give Me Five Friday- {the unexpected of Jesus' birth}


If you've missed it, here's the short version of Give me Five Friday. I like making lists. Every Friday I'll make a list. The only rule is it has to be five things.


I mentioned in last week's Give Me Five. how I had been thinking about Jesus' birth alot this Christmas season. Well, here is what I like best about Jesus' birth, God did so many unexpected things. Things I'm sure that surprised everyone, but God. Here's the ones I could think of.


{five unexpected things about Jesus' birth}


1. the mom- A simple, ordinary but surrendered girl. A self-declared "handmade of the Lord."

2. the dad- A carpenter, not a nobleman but a carpenter.

3. the timing- God did this before they even got married.

4. the place- In a STABLE!

5. the first visitors- simple shepherds

The unexpected in Jesus' birth speaks to my heart because God has done the unexpected in my life. I love to see examples in the Bible where He did the unexpected. I've looked around before and thought, "Really God? You want me to do this?" Maybe Mary at some point during her labor looked around and thought, "Really, God? Birth in a stable?" Ultimately though, she was the "handmade of the Lord" and followed Him, and that is the desire of my life. My God is the God of the unexpected...unexpected to me...not to Him. His plans are better than mine, not always easier (just ask Mary), but better.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this, it is very good. I may preach this thought. The Lord is good, He gives me sermons through my devotions, my studies, from other people's thoughts. Thanks. I do believe that this is your heart's desire. #3

    ReplyDelete