Monday, May 9, 2011

Curse #17- My black thumb

Last week, I planted our vegetable garden, and by "vegetable garden" I mean six plants, but "vegetable garden" sounds much cooler than six plants so I'll go with that.

Anyway, I have wanted to do a vegetable garden for a few years now, and I'll calculate that as a blessing on another day. I planted the garden against my better judgement. See, I loOoOove plants, but I have a problem. I have a black thumb. Every time I try to plant something, or keep a potted plant alive, I fail.

I guess it's the whole "plants need water" thing, I always seem to forget that part. I know what you're thinking, "You have kids, but you can't keep a plant healthy?" Plants and kids are very different though. When one of my boys is hungry they say or cry, "Mom, I'm hungry." A plant does not cry or tell me it's hungry, it just suffers from dehydration in silence.

Hanging baskets, a fall mum, sunflower seeds that never sprouted, and even a cactus, are just some of the victims of my black thumb, but because I love plants, I keep trying.

I was inspired to try a "vegetable garden" from a little gardening kit my mom got B. We planted the seeds in their little greenhouse, and watered them, and guess what? They sprouted. I was so proud of my...I mean...B's little seeds. One day, for some reason, Brandon pulled one of the little plants out. B then got a loOoOoOng lecture about not hurting plants.

The next day, after running an errand, I placed my purse on the table. About an hour later, I picked up my purse to get something out of it, and I was mortified to see my little seedlings...smushed! I had accidentally set my purse on them!!! The black thumb strikes again. I had to give myself give myself the loOoOoOng lecture about not hurting plants I had given B. Just add "Miracle Grow Jr. Gardening Kit" to the list of the victims of my black thumb.

Here's my...I mean...B's little seedlings today. Some did not survive the giant purse disaster, but a few are holding on.



Maybe it's just that I have a black thumb with flowers. Maybe I'll be really good with vegetables. Maybe?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, vegetables.I recommend tomatoes. They are kind of fool proof.

    ReplyDelete