Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturdate with Southern Plate: {french breakfast puffs}

The other night, I was feeling all warm and domesticky, and I decided to make french breakfast puffs from Southern Plate. I believe this recipe is only in the cookbook and not on the website.

Anyway, I started cooking right before Brandon went to bed. He ran in and asked what I was making. In an excited voice, I told him, "These are muffins because Mommy is making you a special breakfast for tomorrow. Just go to bed, and it will be ready when you wake up." He gave me a kiss and scurried off to bed. Seriously, that's how it went.

When the oven timer told me that my french breakfast puffs were done, I opened up my oven, and was surprised to see that my muffins looked more like donuts. They had fallen. When I tried to get the muffins out of the pan, they completely crumbled. Here are my "muffins."



I looked at the recipe to see what could have gone wrong. The recipe called for one cup of sugar so I put in 1 cup of sugar easy peasy! Right? However, when I read the recipe more closely, I realized I was only supposed to put 1/2 cup of sugar in the mix and save 1/2 cup for dipping the muffins in when they were done. FAILURE to read and FAILURE to cook.

However, I don't cry over spilt milk or crumbly muffins so when life hands you crumbly muffins make bread pudding because you win some and you lose some because you've got to know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold...Okay, I'm done.

When Brandon woke up the next day, he was so excited for his "special muffin breakfast." Let's just say he wasn't nearly as excited to see mushy bread pudding. Life Lesson # 532,234 - Never promise food until it's done!



1 comment:

  1. AWW! I sure do hate that happened and I'm so sorry! Your son is doubly blessed to have a Mama sweet as you though and I'm sure he knows that! 
    Love your Pyrex by the way and thanks for giving my cookbook a good home :) 
    Gratefully, 
    Christy 

    ReplyDelete