Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blessing #63 - Hydrangeas

When I was in college, I worked for a woman who worked out of state, and she was gone most of the week. My job was to take care of her flowers and gardens. Now I know that sounds like an odd job for me with my My Black Thumb, but I loved that job. On my first day of work, I didn't know the difference between a flower and a weed, and on my last day, I could name most of the flowers in her garden and when they bloomed.

When I first started working in her gardens, I noticed bushes with sheets wrapped around them to protect them from frost. This woman was serious about these plants. She told me they were her favorites, her hydrangeas. Although I thought she was crazy at the time, as soon as I saw the first bloom, I completely understood her.

Now, hydrangeas are my absolute favorite flower! Roses smoses, just give me hydrangeas.

I love to have flowers in my house, and as soon as I saw this crate, I knew it would make a beautiful hydrangea "vase." Here is how I quickly arrange my flowers.

Step 1: Make sure you flower head is larger than the lip of the vase.

Who has time to mess with floral foam and things like that. If the flower head is bigger than the lip of the vase you don't need any of that. With my milk of magnesia bottles, I can use smaller flowers because of it small lip.

For the crate arrangement, I just used my old mason jars as my vases.

Step 2: Put 1-3 flowers in your vase. Make sure the height of your stem is shorter than the vase height.

Step 3: Clump several vases of flowers together.



I love how this crate turned out, but I made this arrangement for the horse farms guest house that I clean. I just used glasses, and it turned out simple and nice. (Yes, those are coasters under the glasses.)


Post linked to Works for me Wednesday Feature Yourself Friday, The Shabby Nest,and The Tidy Mom.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea - I love it.  So simple, yet beautiful.  Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting married in a month and the historic orchard where we're having the wedding has piles of ancient apple crates. I decided to fill them with hydrangeas and line the aisle with them, but I wasn't sure the mason jars I have would work for the purpose. I'm so glad you beat me to the punch! This is super helpful, and your crate arrangement is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete