Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturdate with Southern Plate- {chicken planks}

Last week, I started cooking through the Southern Plate cookbook. If you missed it I explained it here. This week I decided to make chicken planks. This recipe is on Southern Plate so if you want the recipe just click here.

Because I make chicken fingers about once a month, I was hesitant to try a different recipe. Here is a picture of the first few chicken planks I made.


They are…what's the right word….burnt! I took a little too long on the prep work, and my oil got too hot. Just pretend like you didn’t see that.

After that fiasco, I opened up the windows to clear the smoke out, turned the oil down, and kept cooking. (I’m not joking. I really did have to open the windows…in January!) Here’s the finished product.

Aren’t they pretty? (Just ignore the ones in the back.) I know they look good, but the main question is, “How did they taste?” Brandon is a very picky eater, and he only eats Chickfila chicken. He has never eaten my chicken fingers, but when I put these chicken planks in front of him, he ate them right up with no fussing. Success! This is now my go to chicken recipe.

I also made comeback sauce to go with the chicken planks. I was alarmed by how much pepper this recipe used, but it really just adds to the flavor and not to the heat. Shad and I really liked it. You can find that recipe here.
By the way, we ate the burnt chicken planks, and even they were good.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Steph. These look delicious. I have a steak finger recipe with a batter that is better than the meat. We will have to trade. Love, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look as good as Chick fil a!! Great job!#3s#1

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound wonderful!! I would SO much rather have homemade chicken finger/planks than bought at a restaurant or store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of 'chicken planks,' but they sure look good--even the burny ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! As a southern girl, those are a MUST!!! Love them!

    Blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burdock root is also effective for treating severe acne killer types.
    Hygiene and diet are directly correlated. Step 1Taking this treatment
    before going to bed cleanse your face morning and night.


    Feel free to visit my page the acne killer

    ReplyDelete