Thursday, November 25, 2010

Give Me Five Friday- Happy Birthday Mom!



If you've missed it, here's the short version of Give me Five Friday. I like making lists. Every Friday I'll make a list. The only rule is it has to be five things.




Today is my mom's birthday! She has been with me for the past three weeks since Collin's birth. She just left yesterday. During all this craziness, I did not even get her a card. So to try and make up for it, I will give the perfect gift for any mother from her adult daughter.


{five times my mom was right}


1. When I was 12, my mom and I were walking into walmart. A car lost control and came careening through the parking lot. My mom ran to the left. I should have followed my mom, but I ran to the right...directly into the path of the car. Even in my ignorance though, the Lord protected me and I jumped (or maybe tripped) behind a brick pillar that stopped the car.

2. When I was a teenager, my mom said, "I think you should be a teacher. You have a way with kids." I laughed and thought she had lost her mind. In fact, I even said, "Mom, don't try to live your life through me." (that's a dumb thing to say) A few years later I had to eat crow when I called her to tell her I changed my major from math to math education. I just started the conversation with, "You were right." I didn't know how right she was until I started teaching. Teaching is not just a job but my passion. Surprisingly, she saw it even before I did.

3. While I was in college, my Papaw passed away after fighting a brain tumor. A few days before he passed away, my mom called me at college and said, "You should call your Papaw today. He's having a good day" I thought I was too busy and just forgot about it. That day was his last day of consciousness, and I truly regret not calling him.


4. When we went to get my wedding dress, I picked out several dresses to try on and my mom picked out one. As soon as I saw it I said, "Mom, I will try that dress on just to be nice, but I really don't like it." I put the dress on half heartedly, but as soon as I saw myself in the mirror I was astonished. The dress looked amazing! Let me restate that, I looked amazing in the dress. It was perfect! I couldn't believe it. Who knew my mom had good taste?



5. Right before I had Collin my mom mentioned that she might stay until Thanksgiving. I didn't think that would be necessary so I told her we would play it by ear. While we were in the delivery room and I was having complications, I just looked at her and said, "Mom, I need you to stay all three weeks." She has been amazing during this time. What has she done? She has cleaned my house, done countless loads of laundry, cooked meals, loved on my boys, changed diapers, given baths, driven me everywhere, made me tons of decaf tea, organized my house, hung pictures, and even took me to get a new outfit on the day nothing fit right. She basically took care of me and let me recover. I've cherished our time, and will always be grateful to her for it.

So there you go mom, five times you were right. Now I wouldn't go so far as to say I was wrong. I'm just saying you were right. Happy Birthday!


2 comments:

  1. I knew this day would come, just like you had to grow into that mini van, you had to grow in the realization that your mom knows a few things. Thanks so much for allowing me the blessing of being with you these past three weeks. I hope I gave you a little help in the right direction. Kiss the babies for me & tell them "We love them very much" Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious and way better than a card.
    Good job!
    (Also, I read that you are passionate about teaching and math. Really? One can be passionate about math? I am passionate about hating math. :-)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete